Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Making the Dress: Part 2

Next up, pattern making!  Now that we have the design and the perfect fabric (it seriously thrills me!), it's time to create the pieces to be sewn together.  My Aunt Donna pinned some scrap fabric around me to determine fit and shape.  Then we laid the fabric out onto  a roll of paper.  Because the bodice involves some gathering, we cut the pattern into thin strips and then spaced them out on the paper.  This is so we have the proper proportions, but also enough fabric once it's condensed (gathered) - so smart!  Warning: this step took a few hours - if you plan on making your own dress, be prepared to put in 10+ hours before you even plug in the sewing machine!  And always, always, always measure twice and cut once (if I had a nickel for every time I've heard that!)  

Stay tuned for part 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...